05 February 2012

An (in)efficient process

Well, I sent the partial of my book due at the end of Feb (*gulp*) to my ed last week, and have been ploughing away at the rest.

I wish my process was more efficient. The idea of being able to write a complete first draft in, say, a matter of weeks and then going back and editing would be my idea of perfection. However, I can't get too far ahead without having to make sure what I've already written works - over and over again. By the time the thing is done, I must end up writing twice as much as the final wordcount. This is hardly efficient, but it seems to be my process so there's probably little I can do about it (Or is there? Any advice most welcome.)

What I've discovered is that this way the beginning takes an age, but the rest gets steadily quicker. Or at least that's the theory I'm counting on to get the whole thing done by my deadline. Wish me luck...

4 comments:

Rachael Johns said...

My process (if I even have one) is similar too. I keep going back and rereading before I can move on. I think for me it keeps me in the TONE of the story!

Lucy King said...

Yes, that's it exactly, the TONE. And also for me it's making sure that what my characters do next makes sense based on what they've done/thought before. I can dash off at a (wrong) tangent at the drop of a hat!

Unknown said...

Hi Lucy! I find the worst bit is the middle - I usually have lots of ideas for the start and ending. It all goes pear shaped around Chapter Eight. Then I go and write the ending, end up with a big hole in the middle and have to cobble it together. Would love to begin at the beginning and just write straight through to the end. Good luck with the rest!!

Lucy King said...

Thanks, Charlotte, I guess this is where the difference between plotters and pansters come in. Oh, to be the former!