14 January 2010

Rain, rain, go away

It's been raining here now for nearly a month. In a town that's famed for having 270 days of sunshine a year, it's getting a bit depressing. At least snow looks pretty.

Equally depressing is the realisation that I've started my new story in the wrong place. There's lots of chat and flirting but no conflict whatsoever and it's actually rather dull. Oops. Luckily I think I know how to fix it.

At the moment I have no idea where this story is going, but I'm trying not to worry too much about that just yet. With my last book I over-analysed everything, tried to second guess what my editor would think of what I'd written, obsessed about my overuse of the verb 'to be' and generally forgot to let my characters provide the plot. This time things are going to be different. Hopefully.

Does anyone else fall into these traps, or is it just me???

8 comments:

Romy Sommer said...

You're not alone!

My current WIP is a summer romance that goes wrong. Problem is, I've started the story with the summer romance, so in those opening chapters where I should be hooking the reader with drama, I have very little conflict and lots of sunshine and roses ...

The thought of simply deleting those opening chapters is just too heart-breaking to even contemplate right now.

Rachael Johns said...

You're definitely not alone - the wip I'm about to go back and reread and edit, I wrote five chaps before I realised it all sounded quite lovely but there was actually NO conflict whatsover!! Actually I didn't even realise it, a good writing friend did - lol!

Wish I had some words of wisdom... but in the absence of those, I'll just say 'good luck', I have faith you'll nail it!

:)
Rach!

Michelle Styles said...

Oh it sounds familiar.

Just write. It is fine to write cr@p.
Don't worry about your editor will think, just try to write the best possible story, keeping the focus on the romance.

Lucy King said...

Romy - sunshine and roses sound heavenly. Luckily I was only 2000 words into mine when I realised. And most of it thankfully I can recycle.

Thanks, Rach, I have the feeling I'm going to need a whole lot of luck!

Yup, Michelle, I need to make sure I focus on the romance and the emotional development (and not to throw in too many new plot twists at the end which is what I did in one version last time...)

Jackie Ashenden said...

No, it's definitely not just you. Welcome to my world! :-)

I try to have an element of conflict in every scene, even the ones where they're supposed to be happy. Even it's just an undercurrent. Good luck with it.

Lacey Devlin said...

Good luck Lucy! May the rain stop ;)

Lucy King said...

So nice to know I'm not alone! I think the rain has finally stopped. And the writing seems to be taking off a bit. How very metaphorical ;)

Lorraine said...

Just wanted to say I've nominated you for a Kreative Blogger award. Feel free to partake or not as you please! Interesting interview for Cataromance BTW.