20 June 2009

Light bulbs

It's 38 degrees in Jerez, and all sensible Jerezanos are on the beach, which is where I may be later if I manage to hit my 5000 word target for today.

Last night I had a bit of an epiphany. Well, actually, my husband had it for me. I was trying to explain the plot in the latter half of my story, which currently involves a villain, the illegal supply of appetite supressants and a touch of blackmail. Slightly tortuous but relevant, and all leading to a point where my heroine faces losing her business.

With one eye on Newsnight, my husband said, 'That sounds a bit complicated. I'm confused. Can't the bank just call in her loan?'

Well, yes, it could. And the result would be the same. With a lot less effort on my part. Setting up the whole villain/blackmail scenario was getting a bit convoluted, becoming rather far-fetched, and generally causing me major headaches. Simply having the bank get cold feet and withdrawing her loan is far more realistic, ties in with what's already happened and keeps the focus far more on the hero and heroine.

My learning curve isn't so much a curve as a vertical line.

7 comments:

Jackie Ashenden said...

Lol Lucy!! You know what? That's EXACTLY what I've been doing too! Except I'm doing it with the internal conflict. I've been piling conflict upon conflict onto my poor heroine in order to get her act in the way I want so that her conflict is incredibly convoluted and complicated. I have to remember the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Not that you're stupid. Oh and re that learning curve?? Yup. I'm climbing Everest right now. I wonder if I'll ever get to the top!

As to your husband - well done that man! Mine with his heroine comment was the same. They can be useful eh?

Lacey Devlin said...

I think I'm on that straight line with you Lucy lol! Sometimes it takes an "outsider" to see what we can't because we're so close to the story. They're invaluable those oustiders lol!

Lucy King said...

It would have been more useful to have this epiphany back in March! Not that I'm surprised. This happened with Book 1 too, which is something I tend to forget. That one went round the houses and then back again, before ending up the polished ms it did.

I sometimes wish my husband could write the sodding book too :)

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

I'm glad it's working out for you now, Lucy. Lacey's right, sometimes you need a fresh perspective. And love the KISS principle, Jackie - am going to print that out.

:-)

Felicity Roger said...

Sometimes we get so involved in the story, we cant see the forest for the trees. KISS...I like that Jackie, I might have to put it over my desk. And thank goodness for husbands and their ability to cut to the chase. Sounds like you have turned a corner Lucy.

Joanne Coles said...

I am jealous you have such a helpful hubby lucy. True heroes when they can help you with your writing :-)

Anne McAllister said...

Simple is good, Lucy! And banks are getting cold feet a lot these days, so it's realistic, too.